The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Exchange studies

Lund University is ranked as one of the top twenty universities in Europe for student exchange. Our partner universities are top 100 universities across the globe.

To go abroad as an exchange student means that you are studying at one of Lund University's partner universities for one semester of your training, a partner university is a university that Lund University has cooperation and exchange agreements with.

As a student in the Master's Programme in Asian Studies, you can apply to go abroad as an exchange student for one semester. The exchange studies will take place during the third semester of the master's programme. Your studies abroad as an exchange student can be credited in your exam and does not prolong the total study length.

Please note that, if admitted to exchange studies, you are still required to take our mandatory course Asian Studies: Methodology in Practice (7.5 credits) which will be offered online for students away on exchange studies. 

These pages (see under "Useful links" to the right) hold all the information you need to apply for exchange studies through the Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology

General requirements

As a student at the Centre for East and South-East Asian Studies, you are required to meet the following general requirements when applying for an exchange spot.

  • You must be an active student and registered for full-time studies at Lund University at the time of application.
  • You must have studied two terms of full-time studies at the master (second cycle) level at Lund University at the time of the mobility period.
  • You must have completed at least 45 credits (ECTS) on the master (second cycle) level upon departure.
  • You must have sufficient language proficiency to be able to receive instruction and take examinations in the language of instruction at the host university.
  • Your planned studies should be within the social sciences unless otherwise authorized by the Director of Studies at the Centre for East and South-East Asian Studies.
  • The courses you choose should be important to your thesis work. They should be Asia-related or closely related to your thesis topic (a minimum of 7.5 credits must be Asia-related, and all non-Asia-related courses must be relevant to the thesis)
  • Language studies can be approved in certain cases but are decided on a case-by-case basis by the Director of Studies.
  • Your courses at the host university should preferably be equivalent to full-time studies at the master/graduate/post-graduate level, equal to the master (second cycle) level at Lund University, however, bachelor-level courses can also be approved. 
  • The Director of Studies must approve the courses beforehand.
  • You can not apply to go for exchange studies to your home country.

Additional information

Please also note that depending on the host university's semester dates, it might not be possible for you to participate in the applied fieldwork stay organized by the Centre at Fudan, Thammasat, and Waseda, which typically starts in early January.


If you have any questions, please contact

Nina Brand
International Liaison Officer

Phone: +46 46 222 3861
E-mail: nina [dot] brand [at] ace [dot] lu [dot] se (nina[dot]brand[at]ace[dot]lu[dot]se)

or contact the International Office at the Joint Faculties of Humanities and Theology